With potatoes, how can one go wrong?
This is one of my favorite dishes of potatoes. My mother taught me to prepare a few years ago and since then has been a regular at our table.
The touch of onion and Parmesan cheese give it a unique flavor that I’m sure you and your family will love too.
- 2 Tablespoon of butter
- 1 1/2 cup of half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a medium baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream, half and half and egg together. Whisk well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the prepared dish, slightly overlapping the slices. Place a layer of the onions. Season with salt, pepper and garlic. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat the above process until you complete 3 layers ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Add the cream, top with Parmesan cheese and and dot with remaining tablespoon butter.
- Cover with foil. Bake 1 hour until potatoes are tender. Uncover and bake until until golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.